Subject: Re: Help! I can't Samba!
From: [email-masked] (John Crookshank)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:16:37 -0500

On 03-Jan-96 14:39:21, Ralph Messana ([email-masked]) Emailed: 

>> 
>>   These will export the SYS: and HD0: drives to the network, available
>>   as
>> exports named sys and work.
>> 
>> 
>>   Probably would help to make sure your Amiga is listed in the hosts
>>   file
>> of the NT machine and vice versa. I quote J Crookshank:

> Does anyone know where the hosts file should be kept under windows 95? 
> I've added my amiga to the hosts file, but still can't ping or Ftp by 
> name, only url. My hosts file is in my C: windows directory, is this 
> where it should be?

I haven't done all that with a Win95 system, but on my P133, I have a
hosts.sam in c:\windows that looks like what you want. Try copying it to
just "hosts" and insert your names and IP's and see if it uses it. A system
restart might be necessary before it does. Why not set up one of the GUI
ftp clients like Ws_FTP or Cute_ftp and use that? They will allow you to
save a "hotlist" of systems to connect to, and you just point and click to
connect and log on. The name you want shows up in the hotlist, but the
software sends the IP that's in the entry for it, so it will definitely
work even if you don't have the system recognizing names.

Let me know what you get, and I'll add it to my hints 'n tips. I have my PC
connected to the internet, but haven't done the ethernet networking under
'95, so I can only guess at this point.

Regards, John.

--
      ______________________________________________________________
     /     John Crookshank         | Raptor3 DEC Alpha Workstations \
    |  MicroTech Solutions, Inc.   | Lightwave 3D, Toaster/Flyer     |
    | Desktop Video Systems Dealer | JVC Professional Video Products |
    | NewTek Systems Group Dealer  | PVR, Speed Razor, and more.     |
    |------------------------------|---------------------------------|
    |     [email-masked]              http://www.mt-inc.com/       |
     \______________________________________________________________/